Sunday, December 27, 2009

When he's not with you

The number had appeared on the caller ID a few times.
Name did not seem to be one I recognized so I never called it back.
It only showed up at times when I wasn't home so I figured it was one of my husbands associates.
One day the phone rang when I was home and he had just stepped out. I wanted to answer it but I was afraid. I was afraid of the truth hitting me in my face. It was on the fifth and final ring and I quickly grabbed it. "Hello?" I answered, and the person immediately hung up. Confused at this response I slowly put the phone back on the hook. I sat and thought for a while about who it was and what I should do next. So much thought put into a phone call. My eyes watered a bit as I slowly picked the phone back up and pressed the talk button. I dialed the number. It only rang once before she answered. Her voice was slow, seductive, and even a bit deep. "Hey baby," she answered. I was frozen, couldn't speak nor move. "Hello?" she said, "Babe you there?" I still could not answer. All I could do was breathe, deeply in and out. I thought my chest would explode with the excess of oxygen. She got quiet for a while and let out a slight giggle. "Oh," she said, "You must be her." Finally I broke free of my frozen state. "Wow honey, I'mma need you to at least say something if you're gonna call the other woman back," she finished. Mind blown, I said the first thing that came to my head, "Who are you?" She laughed again. "Seriously?" she said in a sarcastic tone. "I'm the bitch that's fucking your husband. Yes ma'am, YOUR husband." She was so rude and even ghetto-like. Not like my husband's type, or so I thought. "I'm the one he calls late at night," she continued, "When you think he's in the office working. I'm the one that keeps his attention. You see I can do things you can't do. I will do things you won't do. When he's not with you, he's with me. He says he's working late, no he's with me. He says he's on a business trip, we're in Miami. He says he's tired, well that may be true because hey, he probably just got done fucking me. He calls me night and day. He pays my bills, takes on trips, sleeps in my bed. You, you're just for show. Just to give that image that he's a regular guy with the happy wife, home, and family. But you bore him, I'm exciting. You're plain and simple, I'm different and unique. You get the picture hun?"
I couldn't speak. I was crying so hard the tears were wetting my shirt. How could he like this type of woman. How could he cheat on me like this, and where does she get the nerve talking to me the way she is. Like she's won. Like she's the right one.
I paused for second to think things through. I wiped my tears and smiled.
"You there honey, I don't got all day," the homewrecker said, "I know he'll just call me back later."
"He may call you later," I said. "He may come see you, he may even screw you, but he loves me." She laughed. "You see when he's not with you, he's with me. Not just screwing me and paying me off. He picks up our children, take them to the park. Massages my feet after a long day of work. Cooks dinner when I come home late. And he's never tired. Now you, you are a sad case. You are afraid to be alone and you know you're not good enough for any other man, so you settle for being number 2. And believe me you are number 2. You says he pays your bills? Like what? You're cell phone or cable 20 or 50 dollars here or there. He pays our mortgage. You say he takes you on trips, but you have to sneak away. You are not in a relationship honey. You are a whore. Because while you are sitting here laughing at me, I'm still sitting here with a 10000 dollar ring on, in a 350,000 dollar home, with a bmw in the drive way. You get a night here or there, I've had 9 years and a lifetime to go. You think you are living it up, but you are making a fool of yourself. What's even worse is that you fell in love with a man who doesn't love you. You're just the bitch that's fucking my husband. Yes MY husband. How far can you really go?" I was talking so fast I had to stop to catch my breath. I was still crying but with some type of relief because I felt I got a lot off my chest. I could here her still breathing on the other line, but she didn't say a word. "Hello," I asked, "You still there...honey?" "Whatever bitch!" she yelled before hanging up. I hung up the phone. Just as I did my husband walked through the door. He saw the phone in my hand and the tears in my eyes and put two and two together. He sighed and looked down. I stood up and walked to him to look him in his face. He looked at me with sorrow and embarrassment. "I'm..." he began, but I stopped him. "Shhh," I said as I placed my index finger against his lips. I slid off my ring and placed it in the palm of his hand and walked out the door.

No comments: